1.03.2010

The Yums: Nuts About You Granola!

Over the holiday break my rad ma-in-law, Myrna, opened my eyes to the simplicity of granola making. The basic recipe comes from the trusty Tassajara Bread Book (on page 140 of the ancient edition) and is simple to remember: for every 10 cups of dry ingredients (oats, nuts, seeds) you add 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of sweetener. After roasting in the oven you add whatever dried fruits you like. Here is how I made my first batch:

To 5 cups of oats I added:
-1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (I like the big chunky kind)
-1/4 cup almonds
-3/4 cup cashews
-1 cup pecans
-1/2 cup pistachios
-1/2 cup sunflower seeds
-1/2 cup walnuts
-1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

Next, stirred in 1/2 cup of canola oil (may use another oil next time... sunflower?), 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup agave nectar. I then split the mixture between 2 baking sheets and roasted at 250 degrees for 1 hour (stirring every 10 minutes). I cannot tell you nice it was to have baking sheets with sides... saved much mess (thanks, Myrna!!!).

It came out of the oven nice and golden. I put the dry ingredients back into a big bowl and added:
-1 cup chopped dates
-1/2 cup orange flavored cranberries
-1/2 cup dried blueberries
-1/4 cup dried cherries
-1/2 cup dried mango, chopped

I stirred it up well and then couldn't wait to test it out. My fave way to eat granola is to drench it in coconut milk and mix in 1 tsp of chia seeds. This is what a 1/2 cup of granola looks like...

Of course, I shared it with Sebastian who then demanded "more!" when the granola had dried and was put into containers. Guess he will have to wait until tomorrow!

Be creative with your granola making and enjoy! It does the mind and heart well to know exactly what has gone into your mixture. Don't forget to add a heaping dose of love and preferably mix it up while you dance to your fave tunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment